History

Parkview Research Center

History

Parkview Hospital, with the cooperation of physicians and hospital staff, established the Stucky Research Center in 1993 to bring the newest technology, procedures and medicines to area patients now, rather than years later when a clinical study ends. The center was named in memory of Parkview's first medical director, Jerry L. Stucky, MD. The Fort Wayne Cardiology Research Department, which has participated in clinical studies and new protocol development for more than 15 years, was also an integral part in the development of Stucky Research Center.

Through the center's work, Parkview Research Center provides an environment for physicians to offer patients new therapies not available outside the investigational setting. As the community leader involved with medical research for the past decade, the center has grown and expanded to a team of 14 members, which include leadership, research and support staff. The Center provides clinical research services to Parkview Health physicians, consisting of more than 500 northeast Indiana physicians from 40 specialties and has developed areas of specialization in cardiology, neurology, radiation oncology, emergency medicine, and critical care.

In January 2003, the center was relocated to a new office building and renamed Parkview Research Center to more closely associate the center with Parkview. The center continues to draw inspiration from Dr. Stucky's life work. To honor his memory and legacy, the office was named the Jerry L. Stucky, MD Research Office.

Jerry L. Stucky, MD, Biography

Jerry L. Stucky, MD, was a firm believer in the advantages of clinical research and spent much of his professional time working with medical education programs.

Dr. Stucky graduated from the Indiana University School of Medicine in 1955. After a one-year rotating internship at Indianapolis General Hospital, he served as a flight surgeon in the US Air Force. In 1958, he returned to Fort Wayne and began private practice. Dr. Stucky became director of the family practice residency program and served as president of the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program from 1979 to 1990. In January 1990, he became medical director at Parkview.

Dr. Stucky contributed more than 30 years of medical expertise to the Fort Wayne community. He died in June 1991.

Back to top